"Win A 3D Printer" – Just my thoughts

• Posted In: Open talk

• Participant

Okay. I get it. Sponsors help pay the bills. And, who wouldn’t love to win a 3D printer? But, I have to say that to win a printer you are supposed to click on 8 sponsors and stay on their page for at least 20 seconds is NOT what I consider (squirrel!) productive to my 3D printing!! (squirrel!)
    I mean, wow. Why do you think (squirrel!) I happened to remember to enter again instead of dealing with my issue and starting a print? SQUIRRELS!! That’s why! I have too many squirrels already! Think about it. All you are wanting to do is jump online to look up an issue you are having, and all of a sudden…SQUIRREL!!! “okay, I’ll get my entries in and be on (squirrel!) my way.” “Crud! I have to visit 8 sponsors! No biggie, I guess. 160 seconds…fine. I’ve got things to fix and things to print!” 20+ minutes later and (squirrel!) I still haven’t searched for my issue! “Aw, man! What was I (squir [squirrel!!! Really!?! Dang!] rel!) going to search? I had it worded great in my head. Can’t remember now!” I am really not interested in (Squirrel!) “Physical Defenses Can’t Stop Cyber Warfare.” Not trying to say it’s not important (squirrel!), but it’s not for me. But, it was the other link on the page (got things to do, right?)! (BTW, now it’s been 40 minutes? Still haven’t searched!) (Squirrel! No, really! Squirrel! NM – taking too long to figure out how to post this squirrel pic!). Anyway, why not say “Click on an article on our website and spend enough time to read it. Or, listen to a pod cast while you are doing 3D printy stuff. Or, comment 2 replies on a forum post. Or, start a new 3D printing topic (such as; What aspect of 3D printing do you enjoy the most? What is frustrating you most about your current print? (Squirrel! Doesn’t count, though. Wife had dinner ready. 🙂 ) Just telling a little about yourself and/or your makerspace and showing a picture of your space or a print (good one, or bad) will qualify you for an entry! The more you do, the entries you get!”).
    So, now that I’ve clicked on who-knows how many links to things I have no interest in, or have too much interest in at this particular moment (freakin’ squirrel!!!!) just to win something for virtually nothing, I am giving up on trying to win anything here!! I am a working person that has limited time and unlimited (squirrel!! OMG) squirrels. It’s

almost

as frustrating as my A8!!!!!
    “Click Around on our site for 5 minutes and read some articles (reads page visit first after time enough to actually read a post) Dont forget to visit 8 of our sponsors that youll find by searching on our pages. START HERE! Stay atleast 20 seconds on Each Sponsor (Give them a chance to show what they got! 🙂 )”
    Sounds good. Usually turns out to be anywhere from 45 minutes to 2+ hours (guess how long it’s taken me to write this!!! You should see all the open tabs, and the herd of squirrels! Or, is that a gaggle of squirrels? Hang on….. Ha. It’s called a dray or a scurry of squirrels! Really. Google it! Uh, wow. You know…[squirrel. smh] )
    Everyone, your odds of winning here just got a little better. Sticking to the forum, pod casts, and articles. 🙁
    BTW, I love the site with great content, an

awesome

forum!, (squirrel!! Oh, come on!!!!) and the pod casts are GREAT!!!! My favorite pod casts for sure!
    Sorry if I sound harsh or unappreciative. Don’t mean to. I, actually, kinda had fun writing this (didn’t start that way). It gave me some quality time AWAY FROM my A8! Lol.
    Well, I hope I didn’t offend anyone.
    Jeff
    Squirrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Squirrel

• Participant

Okay. I get it. Sponsors help pay the bills. And, who wouldn’t love to win a 3D printer? But, I have to say that to win a printer you are supposed to click on 8 sponsors and stay on their page for at least 20 seconds is NOT what I consider (squirrel!) productive to my 3D printing!!

Like you I’d love to win a 3d printer, how ever ya I don’t like jumping through too many hoops to get entered and that’s why I gave up. I’d rather spend my time in Fusion 360 or working with my 3d printer rather then trying to win a new printer even though my current printer is starting to have more and more issues. Now to fix the thermistor issue I’m having currently (I have another one laying around thank goodness for buying spare parts a head of time)

• Participant

I have similar misgivings concerning the hoops we jump through to try and win a printer. I’m not so concerned about the sponsor clicks. I can open them in separate windows out of the way and let them sit there. Many of the repeatable entries ask you to read and comment on content or listen to podcasts, but new content is slow coming. There hasn’t been a new podcast since January, and I have already listened to all of them more than once. New articles come out in spurts, and with articles garnering feedback from just a few readers, there isn’t much to add after your initial thoughts. The forums are very stale and lack any moderation. I have sent numerous messages volunteering my services to help moderate the forums, but I have not received an answer. I try to point out the fake/chatbot posts so they can get deleted or at least lock the threads, but nothing ever happens.

I have been trying to win a 3D printer on this site since last September. It is extremely discouraging to see a winner announced every month that is almost never an actual active member of the community here. I realize that you do not have to join the site to enter, but I have only seen an active user win a printer once. Richard B. one a Tronxy back in November. In December I supposedly won an Amazon gift card. I never received anything and gave up trying to get answers as to where it went. Contests sit idle for months after they close with no winner ever getting announced. I really want to have faith here, but it gets harder and harder each month. I have messaged Håkan Fägnell several times trying to get information, but the only answers I get are in the vein of “can we talk another time” or “I’ll look into it”.

I truly enjoy the content on the site which is why I am still here. However, it is extremely disheartening to see how the site is ran. /end rant

• Participant

Brian & Tom I was starting to think no one was even going to read this! Lol. I’m glad I’m not alone in my thinking.

Brian,

I’d rather spend my time in Fusion 360 or working with my 3d printer rather then trying to win a new printer

Exactly my point!! Thank you.
    Tom,

I have only seen an active user win a printer once.

Wow. SMH. That’s sad.

I have sent numerous messages volunteering my services to help moderate the forums, but I have not received an answer.

And, to turn down help with the site or, not even acknowledge the offer, is just beyond me!

it is extremely disheartening to see how the site is ran

or NOT RAN with the community in mind.Sure, the content is for us, but more so for the sponsors & Håkan Fägnell.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

A FREE 3D Printer?

We are Giving away 1 reviewed ULTIMAKER 3 ! To one lucky winner. Grab your entries!
Giveaway Expires In:
DONT MISS OUT..
close-link