•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Darius 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Tony Davies
    Tony Davies
    Participant

Hi guys ,I am Tony Davies from the UK , I am self employed and work in prototyping and 3D printing.

Currently designing a 3D printer for eventual resale – here we have my paper based thoughts – I will try and update this every day – so that you can see how it progresses.

So  my notes so far on Day 1

Objectives

1 200mm x 200mm print area

2 Heated bed so you can print with ABS & PLA

3 Prusa i3 style inside a Makerbot style case.

4 Can be used stand alone.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="640"]Initial idea p1 First thoughts[/caption]

More

Even more

Direct Drive / Bowden or geared hmmm will have a think on that.

That’s all for now folks.

Daniel F
    Keymaster

Thats Cool! I would love to see that 3d printer when its done!

Tony Davies
    Participant

Hmmm – all very interesting this thinking and designing and research – I have picked up a few little gems especially about the Ramps 1.4 controller board – Lots of different manufacturers each one builds the board slightly differently.

So research has found – not all suppliers put on a two pin header next to diode d1, this header gives you a 12v supply which you can use for powering  say a cooling fan for the ramps , or maybe some leds.

Also the A4988 pololu drivers in which most people put a heatsink on top of are apparently designed for being heatsinked underneath which looks pretty near impossible.

Not all A4988 boards are the same , some will work with ramps 1.4 and some just wont , and also there are fake ones out there too.

Plus if you want to do long prints that say take 24hrs or so then you need to change the 3 voltage regulators.

If I have missed anything I will put an update on.

Profile photo of 3AM Productions
    3AM Productions
    Participant

Prusa in a box is not a good idea. It’s will need much more room on the Y axis. If you are planning to build an enclosed printer from the start a design like the ultimaker is better Though i suggest skipping the cantilevered bed for a more stable dual stepper design.

Prusa in a box is not a good idea. It’s will need much more room on the Y axis. If you are planning to build an enclosed printer from the start a design like the ultimaker is better Though i suggest skipping the cantilevered bed for a more stable dual stepper design.

I think that you’re talking to use like a Core XY style… To make a printer from scratch, this is actually the best to do… I particularly would suggest to put a place inside the case to put the filament spool and a clear window to check if everything is OK. The filament inside the housing will help to prevent dust on it and will keep it warmer than if it was outside the box… The part for eletronic board and stuff should work better if separated from the place where the heated bed goes, because they work better cold and, if separated, the cooler want cause the warp trouble on your printed parts while printing…

I hope you understand what I mean… If you don’t, just ask and I’ll try to explain better…

Tony Davies
    Participant

Hi ,thanks for the reply – what you have said is pretty close to what I have been thinking , just have to design it all

Tony Davies
    Participant

Ok guys been thinking a little more about the printer , Looking at making one specifically for printing with PLA , so I will not bee needing a heated bed , It will be enclosed ,plus it will be an xy core printer using belts for the x and y axis .I have a design in my head and I have laser cut a box for it and put a coat of undercoat in , pictures to follow in the next post when I can retrieve my camera from the workshop.

The Arduino mega/ramps 1.4/pololus/and end stops have arrived , so I had better sort out the printed parts using one of our i3’s that we made.

Darius
    Participant

nice! you have them cut already? good job! looking forward to seeing this. please make a build log or keep us updated, ideally with pictures if possible! 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •