•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rajaa 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Rajaa
    Participant

Hi all, I started my 3D printing experience like two years ago with a Chinese i3 3D printer. It was a direct drive system with no auto-leviling function. I was supper happy that I was able to print most of my ideas and prototypes but of coarse with some limitations…

It wasn’t that solid and quite noisy plus doesn’t print super accurate when it comes to dimensions..

After like a year, I bought another i3 for like 300$ with Bowden setup and Auto-leveling function.

I got it to print well, but not what I expected… I didn’t really like the Bowden setup as it’s not accurate in printing like a direct drive setup and we all know that (plus hard to print some filaments like flex ones)…

I wasn’t happy with the Auto-leveling as well, because I was able to make the bed leveled manualy much better that the Auto can do (in my printer).

So, I made a switch to choose between Auto-leveling and manual leveling when ever I want..

But until now, in this printer, I will always level it manual to have first layer perfected.

I bought a big roll of Kapton tape 20mm/30m but I used it once.

Now I use a mirror that is much cleaner and easier to print.. For PLA I use nothing but a heated bed (70 c) because the temperature will drop a little bit through the mirror. For ABS I use ABS juice (ABS filament + pure acetone) and it works quite well. But it’s so dirty and smelly..

I decided to use Fleks3d and I will receive it maybe today. I bought the one with 12×12″. It  wasn’t cheap actually.. It’s 35$ and the shipping was 25$ !! (I don’t know why the shipping is so expensive).

Hopefully this Fleks3d will let me print cleanly any material with the ability to flex the plate in order to pop the printed part up (amazing! No sharp tools that might damage the printed parts or the bed/plate!).

Over all the i3 is easy and good to start with.. But after my experience, I found that a moving bed is not a smart idea.. even if only moving in Z direction.. In this case Deltas are the best and the smartest! don’t you agree? I’m not going to talk about the other benefits of a delta, it’s all over the internet.. But my next printer is definitely a Delta!

• This topic was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Rajaa.

steve
    Participant

I agree that deltas appear to be the way to go. I’m building one right now.  But, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.  They have their own entirely different set of challenges.

Rajaa
      Participant

Good luck with your delta Steve!

Yes, deltas are not as easy as cartisians to set up and troubleshoot, but once you set it up it become a piece of art that prints wonderfully!

I backed The Trium 3D printer on Kickstarter and perhaps a month or two I will receive it. I’m so excited about it as it comes with Diamond hot-end and magnetic end rods.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •